Saturday, April 14, 2007

Farm House on 9th & Derry

It was a glorious morning. Sunny and relatively mild this Saturday. I went out early and this time I knew exactly what I wanted to paint. No wasting time driving around looking for a spot.

I had seen this farm house hundreds of times driving back and forth on 9th line (a few blocks from my house). I had seen it in morning light and afternoon light and resolved to paint it in early morning to catch the shadows.

Farm House On 9th & Derry 9.5" x 6.0"
-
Order Original (US$75.00) Order number 140407_O

This was my first true plein-air of 2007. I left the comfort of the car, walked for a while to find the right angle and set down my gear. I put a plastic bag on the wet grass, and settled down for a quick painting. It was/is still a bit nippy, so I knew I had no more than 30 minutes to do this one.

True to all my plein-air painting experiences, I was greeted by an eager little dog with a chatty owner, but I did not let that bother me. I greeted the dog and engaged the owner in a review of the day's weather. I was enjoying this so much nothing could distract me.

6 comments:

  1. I like this one, Fawzan! Good capturing of this morning's cold bright light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, It feeks like I am almost there. There is a sense of BIG space and distance like seeing it from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colors definitely suggest the morning feeling. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:02 pm

    Great job Zan. I envy you that chilly morning painting session! I don't have a set of paints for an excursion. I am going to have to do better. As soon as our weather breaks into spring .......

    Nice job! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, Thanks a lot for your comment. I love your Sycamores BTW. Lovely work on both of them!

    Cathy, don't envy, just do it! Start by making yourself a pocket box (see my post on Home Made Watercolour Bijou Box) or get yourself a black box from W&N or Daniel Smith if you are serious. Get out! I was painting from my car in Ontario January!! Nothing like painting outdoor. Compared to studio painting, its like drinking good wine, or grape juice respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the shadows on the house.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.