Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not Yet Spring - River Run Park (plein air)

It has been some time since I posted on this blog, but it doesn't mean that I have not been active art wise. I have taken most of my latest paintings and started reworking them to fix annoying bits here and there that have kept me from feeling great about them.

But mostly, I have been working on this piece. It started out as a tough task when I went painting with my plein air buddy Jim at River Run Park earlier this month. It was a bright sunny day. I set up on a small hill overlooking the Credit river just after 1:30pm. I was sitting in the shade of a large tree, bare, but with enough branches to keep the sun away. As the day progressed, the sun went lower and eventually was in my face slightly to the left. It became very hard to distinguish colours as the sun came further and further down in the sky. As I looked back and forth from scene to painting, the adjustment was become more and more difficult to handle...

Not Yet Spring - River Run Park, 8"x10" Acrylic on primed Masonite


Frustrated and beckoned to come home, I called it a day with nothing really to show. The next few days, as I travelled back home by train from downtown, I studied the early evening light and the colours that it created. Slowly but surely, the image came to focus in my mind, and I was able to put it together at last. Funny how the best solutions come subconsciously when you give your mind the task and then go about everyday living. I hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I like the sense of dimension that this work passes to the viewer.
    The pallete is well chosen.

    Best regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.