Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shadow Of A Willow

Most of my painting efforts lately have been in oil en plein air. I have only used my studio for final touches and clean-ups. Yesterday was the exception. While everyone at home was busy with their own goings-on, I decided to escape to the studio. At first I spent some time tidying up my mess (I am very messy and the space is small!) but then I opened my watercolour drawer and the colours called me to take them out for a spin... so I obliged.

Shade of A Willow, Watercolour on 140lb cp paper, 6"x8"

I picked up a reference photograph of the credit river that I had taken last July, and riffed off this little piece. I say riffed because it bares only a slight resemblance to the reference. Jazz painting :) I never do well when I slavishly copy either nature or references, but to take the basic scale and then let the imagination and colours flow is a delight.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe the difference from plein aire. I can see why you bundle up and brave the arctic elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your art work and I just added a Artist Link on my website www.leahbeesearrings.com and would love to add a link to your blog if that's ok with you just let me know

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful colors. Riff away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. Please try to be there next Friday :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.