Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Mastering Color

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you will know that I am not in the habit of endorsing art classes or materials. When I do, it is because I am convinced they are of value and I think other will benefit from them. That is the case with Richard Robinson's DVD class, Mastering Color.

I have been looking for a disciplined way to shift gears with colour and expand my skills. I have been painting for years, but as I said in my previous post, playing with colours and exercising with colour mixing and seeing are the fundamental blocks that all artists should work on at all times in there careers. Just like other endeavors, you can't just show up for showtime and forget about practice. For artists, one of the main "practices" is exploring colour and colour mixing.

There is no shortage of options for study guides to working with colour. From books to sites online to DVDs, you will find a bunch of alternatives. I have looked at many of these and while some are good and tempting, I chose to go with Richard's class for several reasons.

  1. His DVDs (downloadable so you don't have to wait for them to be delivered) looked professional and pleasing to watch. You may think that is a frivolous reason, but believe me, you don't want to spend the next few weeks watching a badly made DVD and trying to follow something you can't hear or you have a hard time seeing.
  2. I needed not just a well done DVD lecture, but a study guide that would compel me to work - not just watch. I wanted a well designed course that I could halt, explore, do exercises in at each stage and move at my own pace. Richard has a tone of exercises that come with each chapter of the class in separate pdfs. These recap the DVD class and then move you to exercises that expand and reinforce the class.
  3. Richard's class is full of very helpful tools that I will take with me far beyond the class into the field as I go painting.
  4. Richard is an accomplished artist and colourist. His paintings show a mastery of colour which leads me to confidence when working with his class.

In the next few weeks, and without stealing Richard's thunder or taking away from his class, I will be sharing my progress through the class with you here. If you would like to join me, click through to Richard's website and for starters look at his free first class (really an introduction). If you like it, you may want to do what I did and download the first few classes. The first two are laying the foundation. The core of the work starts with class four, but I wouldn't suggest that you skip any.

Yes, I guess I am wholeheartedly endorsing Richard's Class :)

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to following your learning process.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.