Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A Brush With The Highlands - Day 1

Friday July 30, 2010


I woke up early today, dressed and packed the rest of my stuff in the SUV. Then I checked to see that everything was loaded. Sleeping bag, matres, two backpacks (Oil /Watercolours), an overnight bag with change of clothes, a cooler for water and yogurt drinks, hat, bug spray etc...

I headed out through the rush hour of Toronto, but this time I wasn't heading for work, I was on a 3.5 hr trip to Wilberforce, the site of A Brush with the Highlands one of the best plein air events in Ontario. I took my time on the road and got there just in time to help set up the panels for the show on Monday. Then I escaped, to the camp site and found a spot right next to my friend David. That was a great idea since David is a much better camper than I am and came equipped with a stove and everything! I was thinking canned food, but had eggs and coffee instead! You can’t beat that!

After heading out to the town for a last check of the local store for some cold drinks, I headed out and did a small watercolour as a warm up for the three day painting marathon. It wasn't much, but it got my brushes loose and put me in the right mood. Then I came back to the camp at Tracey and Daryl’s property in time for the bonfire and to meet old painting friends from last year. 16 of us were camping there with about as many other scattered around the B&Bs and hotels in and around Wilberforce.


Saunders Road, Creek, Watercolour on Fabriano Rough 300g, 9"x12"
The night was cold and sleeping in the SUV was comfortable if a little stuffy. I should have built a screen for my window so I could crack it open a bit and let air in, but no matter. A good night sleep was in order. Tomorrow is a big day and I needed all the rest I could get.


1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful watercolor Zan. Can't wait to see the rest from your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.