Friday, August 06, 2010

A Brush With The Highlands - Day 3

Sunday August 1, 2010

Once again the pushy rooster had his way. I was up at first light and after a good breakfast (Daryl made eggs and left-over steaks) I headed straight to the Barns farm. Here I set up at the far end of the farm path and did an 11x14 of the hills around the farm. Bill painted close by and I shared some of my yogurt drink with him. For anyone working in the heat, the drink is a very refreshing concoction that is strange, but as old as rocks in the eastern Mediterranean. You simply mix ½ yogurt, ½ water and salt to taste. Not exactly what you expect from a drink, but so fresh and keeps you hydrated very well due to the salt. The last thing you need in heat is sugar, while salt actually retains water in your body which is a big plus. Back when I was in high school, I worked one summer as a translator for a Dutch company in Saudi Arabia. We were set up in the desert building a pre-fab town from scratch and we would take a salt pill every morning as a requirement before heading out.

I finished the 11x14, moved some 300 meters into the farm and looking back, painted the pathway. The light was perfect with shadows and lovely darks against lights. Tricia and her friend were painting close by and we shared ripe Ontario peaches with Dan and Bill who joined us around lunch. I took a small cat nap again, and then headed up on Essonville line to catch the afternoon sun beating on Esson lake. I set up on the side of the road behind the railings for safety but that meant that I was on a steep slope and uncomfortable. Nevertheless, the view was grand and I was happy to capture it despite the fact that I knew I was going to have to work on it later on due to lack of time and comfort. The road rises over the lake and the view is long, something I was missing in the other paintings.

Colours come more easily after two days of fine tuning your eyes and living with the blobs of paint in the pochade box. Somehow mixing colours becomes more instinctive and on the mark. The day was a bit breezy and much warmer than the days before which meant that we all got some good sun. Thankfully most of us travel with some sort of sun shading (umbrellas or sunscreen are a must). Back at the camp, I found David putting finishing touches on a lovely painting he did at the Barns farm as well. I set up in my corner and did the same until the mosquitoes forced me to abandon the effort.

The night was going to be a quiet one. No guitars, no rowdy bonfires just a calm fading away with the last light. The humidity was rising though and sleeping in a closed car was tough. Opening the window or door would mean that the mosquitoes would get a feeding. Closing everything would mean a stuffy hot sleep. I chose the later, but next year I will figure out a way to install a screen on one of the windows to get some air in while keeping the vampires away.

1 comment:

  1. Next year again! This time in the wild has been good for you. Can't wait to see what you painted.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.