Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Outdoor Winter painting

Winter has always been a time when I have enjoyed outdoor painting. Mind you it is not always easy to paint outdoors in winter. Sometimes you have to retreat to the comfort of the car to paint from behind the wheel. For that I have devised a steering wheel easel that I don’t leave without. It is always better to be out in the open though, but sometimes it is just not possible.

FirstThaw500
First Thaw, Oil on panel, 8”x10”

You may think that the temperature is the deterrent. It isn’t. I have painted in –25C with not much difficulty. The temperature is not the issue. Wind though is a killer. A still cold crisp day is a blessing. But any sustained wind will test even the hardiest of winter outdoor painters.

DSC_5659

It has been a mild winter so far with not much snow down here in the GTA, but I hope to making up for that soon. I am heading to Algonquin park in the second week of January for a few days of winter painting. That should be a lot of fun! I will be staying in the town of Whitney – minutes from the park’s east gate.

Being outdoors in winter is knowing how to dress for the occasion. I hope to post a full description of my winter gear soon. When you are out there and comfortable, there is whole world of colour and harmony to discover and enjoy painting. But comfort and safety are key to a successful outing. No use loosing a finger or an ear to get a painting done… I am no Van Gogh Smile

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Zan. Outdoor painting in any weather is not for me. Love the winter light on this barn.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.