Monday, April 23, 2012

In The Clearing, Oil on Canvas Panel

I have been working hard lately with little time to dedicate to my art. So I have been doing smaller works just to keep the art muscles from going into atrophy. I am also looking for new directions in my art. Tentatively working through changes and exploring and experimenting to stay fresh.

InTheClearing500
In The Clearing. Oil on canvas panel, 6”x8”

Colour and abstraction are the theme in this small work. I was less focused on rendering the trees and the opening in the forest and more interested in the feeling of light and colour. I am growing less interested in realism. The brain is so much more powerful than we can imagine and will complete a scene much better than any of us can with a brush. We just need to give it enough to work with and then let the viewer work his/her magic

4 comments:

  1. Je peux sentir l'odeur de la mousse et des sous-bois similaire à un bon verre de Bordeaux...
    Une belle harmonie de couleurs.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a shrine-like quality to it and an expectancy of such positive value, almost like a blessing, waiting just beyond the lighted "bushes" at the far end of the clearing. A peaceful piece. I could look at it for a long time. Also, it is very colorful and rich. There is far more to be seen here than meets the eye. The color is stressful and invigorating like life.

    I liked your line about artistic atrophy... so true, yet I am strong believer in sedentary stored sprints between projects. ;)

    Beautiful piece. Also, great picture of it. So vivid. I feel like I am looking at the real thing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.