Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sweet Peas Watercolors

For working with fresh vibrant colours, there is nothing like the watercolor medium. I don’t really like painting flowers for their own sake. There is a cottage industry of that with technically adept leaders that capture every detail of a rose or a lily.
In my work, if you can tell what the flower is, that is an extra! The goal is color and mood primarily. Here are a couple of recent watercolors for you.
yellowdress500
Yellow Dress, Watercolor on 140lb paper, 4”x6”

Some times I like to varnish watercolors. Yellow Dress is such a case. Purists do not like to see watercolors varnished, but it does allow one to frame a work without glass, which is a huge plus for viewing and enjoying the work. In most cases, I will leave it up to the future owner of my works to tell me if they would like it varnished or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.